Washington Cream Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a bowl, beat eggs on high for 3 minutes; gradually add sugar. Combine flour and baking powder; stir into egg mixture alternately with water. Beat on low for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool. Split cake into two layers.
- 2. For filling, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir a small amount into eggs; mix well. Return all to pan. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thick. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Add the butter and vanilla; cool completely. Spread between cake layers. Cut into squares; top with pie filling and whipped cream. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 497 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 100g carbohydrate (73g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Washington Cream Pie
"Flavor was good but cake came out tough and filling too soft (squished out of sides while cutting)."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.