Washboard Cookies Recipe
These cookies were the treat we would enjoy when we traveled on family shopping trips to Ft. Worth many years ago. My sister, Carrie, always made them and put them in a foil-covered shoe box. By the time we got to Ft. Worth, they were all gone! Now my daughter makes these cookies for me, and at the age of 90, I still think they are the greatest treat.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, water and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten with a fork that has been dipped in water. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 120 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Washboard Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC