When I see butternut squash at the supermarket, I buy one. It's amazing tossed with earthy quinoa, Italian spices and crunchy pine nuts. And don't get me started on the browned butter! Yum. —Carly Taylor, Libertyville, Illinois
Recommended: 40 Super Satisfying Dinners for Lent
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted pine nuts, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine quinoa, cumin and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-13 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in squash and seasonings; cook, covered, until tender, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to quinoa. Top with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Warm Squash & Quinoa Salad in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Warm Squash & Quinoa Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review