- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- Assorted crackers
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cut the top fourth off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Spoon cheese mixture into bread shell. Wrap in a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 24 in. x 18 in.). Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Serve with crackers. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews for Warm Savory Cheese Spread
"Very tasty recipe. Had a problem w/ the dip not being quite hot enough in the bread after 1 hour in the oven, so to save time I poured it into a 9" glass pie plate and microwaved it until it was okay to eat. Next time I would not bother w/ the bread, just bake it in a pie plate. Served four people w/ Ritz and Breton crackers. Easy to make, our guests loved it."
"Excellent ! I served several different appetizers on Christmas Eve while wrapping gifts."
"Very tasty! I used an oval shaped loaf of bread for our Wisconsin Badger football party. Everyone enjoyed the dip."
"Every chance I get..."
"My family loves this recipe, its so yummy, don't try using lite mayo, it doesn't turn out."
"I now know this recipe by heart! I add extra bacon and adapt to 3/4 cup red pepper with 1/4 cup green. I also use a red onion to zip it up. Definitely a crowd pleaser!"
"This bread bowl is excellent! I modify it slightly. I use 1/4 cup of onion, and omit the green pepper. I also like to crumble extra bacon on the top. It has become a favorite family treat! If I take it to a friends house or a party, I always take extra copies of the recipe. Without a doubt I am always asked for one!"
"Has become a family tradition"
"This was delicious!"