When it's warm, this reminds me of super-moist lava cake. And until I made this, I didn't think a slow-cooker cake could be so attractive. It's a real winner. —Scarlett Elrod, Newnan, Georgia
Featured In: 68 Slow Cooker Recipes to Warm Your Winter
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve chocolate pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; add 1-1/4 cups milk. Beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter.
- In a small saucepan, heat remaining milk until bubbles form around sides of pan; gradually pour over contents of slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on high 3-4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out with moist crumbs.
- Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle marshmallows, chocolate chips and pecans over cake; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until marshmallows begin to melt. Serve warm. If desired, top with ice cream. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Warm Rocky Road Cake in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014, p1-23
Reviews for Warm Rocky Road Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2015
"i made this yesterday, and it was wonderful it was very rich. my mother loved it."
Reviewed May. 12, 2014
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2014
"Very good. Very sweet, but very good! Will make again when I am cooking for a crowd."
Reviewed Dec. 7, 2013
"I made this recipe for work and it was a big hit!"