- 8 fresh beets
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Scrub and peel beets. Cut into wedges; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz beets with additional cooking spray until coated. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, heat orange juice over medium heat in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup. Remove from heat. Whisk in next seven ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, place arugula in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 cup dressing; toss to coat. Divide mixture among six salad plates. Place beets in the same bowl; add remaining dressing and toss to coat. Arrange on plates. Sprinkle salads with blue cheese and hazelnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Warm Roasted Beet Salad
"I am generally not that fond of beets, but saw some "Italian" beets at our local farmers' market and thought I would try them. I really liked this recipe. The dressing did not reduce to a syrupy consistency, but it was still good. A bit too much effort for a hot summer night, but I may try it again when the weather is cooler."
"My husband and I enjoyed this recipe very much. Roasting the beets really brings out the sweetness."
"Can I use some beets I canned this past season without too much change in flavor?"
"Fabulous! I prefer to roast the beets before cutting them up. The dressing is A+."
"3 w.w. points"