- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch romaine, quartered lengthwise through the core
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add beans, rice, green chilies, salsa and cilantro; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over romaine wedges. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Warm Rice & Pintos Salad
"This was extremely tasty and easy to make. I did not have a can of green chilis but it still tasted great. I crumbled some corn bread on top as well. My husband and I had this over romaine but felt it would also be good in burritos. Will make again."
"I love how easy this recipe was to put together and how light of a meal it was! Yet it was still filling. I did add more cheese to it and my husband added hot sauce."