Warm Pecan Cabbage Slaw
Marie Hattrup, a field editor from Sparks, Nevada, gives a new twist to this slaw, which she serves warm. The mild mustard flavor and pleasing blend of crisp-tender vegetables and toasted pecans is a nice complement to fish or ham.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the cabbage, carrot, green onions,
- water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-7
- minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Drain, if necessary.
- Combine butter and mustard; pour over cabbage mixture and toss to
- coat. Stir in pecans. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 109 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 376 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.