Warm Orange Chicken Spinach Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 thin slices red onion, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small skillet, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, vinegar, orange juice and remaining oil until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 3. In a large serving bowl, combine the spinach, orange, onion and walnuts; add chicken mixture and toss. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 298 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Warm Orange Chicken Spinach Salad
"I had some left over chicken breast to use so tried this recipe. It is very good; light, low calorie, low fat and totally delicious. I might try it with strawberries instead of oranges next time."
"We make this regularly in the summer and sometimes during the cooler months. I eliminate the red onion, since we aren't raw onion lovers, and I now substitute roasted sunflower seeds for the walnuts as my little girl is nut allergic. It's still a great, light recipe, especially for hot summer nights."