Warm Layered Sandwich
Warmed to perfection in the oven, this well-stacked loaf offers hungry diners eight layers of classic sandwich staples, including deli turkey and ham, sliced salami and two types of cheese. Tomato and red onion help round out each mouthwatering wedge. If you have some extra time, keep the loaf in the oven a minute or two longer to melt the cheese to your liking.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 pound sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 medium plum tomato, sliced
- 3 romaine leaves, torn
- Cut bread in half. Carefully hollow out bottom and top of loaf,
- leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another
- use). Spread mustard on cut sides of bread.
- On bread bottom, layer with turkey, salami, mozzarella cheese, onion,
- ham, cheese and tomato. Replace top.
- Wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450°
- for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Place romaine over
- tomato. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 457 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1,442 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.