Warm Grapefruit with Ginger-Sugar
Hostess Stephanie Levy greets her guests sweetly with broiled grapefruit—a specialty at her Lansing, New York B&B. Try it as an appetizer for breakfast or brunch or as a light, anytime dessert.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Cut grapefruit in half horizontally. With a sharp knife, cut around
- the membrane in the center of each half and discard. Cut around each
- section to loosen the fruit. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and ginger; sprinkle over top. Broil 4
- in. from the heat for 4 minutes or until grapefruit is warmed and
- sugar is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 grapefruit equals 85 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.