You'll quickly warm up to the old-fashioned taste of this fruit topping from Doris Heath of Franklin, North Carolina. Spoon it over vanilla ice cream or slices of pound cake.
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pound cake or ice cream
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, toss apples and pears with lemon juice. Mix brown sugar, maple syrup and butter; pour over fruit. Stir in pecans, raisins and cinnamon sticks. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, 30-40 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve with cake. Yield: about 6 cups.
Originally published as Fruit Dessert Topping in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p53
Reviews for Warm Cinnamon-Apple Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review