- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips, coffee and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and egg white until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to ten 4-oz. ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or just until centers are set. Garnish with strawberries if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forWarm Chocolate Melting Cups
"I'm not sure if I made them incorrectly or if they are supposed to be NOT cake like. My cups came out very much like a pudding with a crispy crust on top. Is that right?"
"Has anyone attempted this recipe using Splenda or Splenda brown sugar as a substitute for white sugar? I'm curious if it would work...it would sure cut the calories!!773 calories in one cup of sugar...even divided it's too many for this gal's diet! How about we cut those calories to about 100 total calories from Splenda sugar? :)"
"These are soooo good! Very rich and easy to make:-}"
"These cups were wonderful. I like that it makes 10 cups: this is great for during the holidays or when the family comes over. They are warm and creamy in the center and crispy on the edges. The chocolate is so smooth and wonderful! I like to sprinkle a little powdered sugar and a raspberry on top when serving."
"Very good and easy to make. I make 10 and then put in fridge for later."
"These are incredible!!! We put the extras in the fridge and warm in the microwave, incredible!!"
"This is an absolutely incredible dessert! Such a deep, rich chocolate flavor and totally worth the splurge. However, the calorie count on here is way wrong. I ran it through 2 different recipe builders, and it's closer to 200 calories each for 10 servings. Still worth it, they are soooo good! UPDATE: I see that the nutrition stats for this recipe have been modified, so this seems accurate now at 197 calories. So good....even to make ahead, put them in the fridge & reheat in microwave, they are still delicious! Don't skip the coffee....even if you don't like coffee, you can't taste it. It just intensifies the chocolate flavor."
"This is amazing! My family loves it!"
"DIVINE! Just perfect with strawberries to cut the sweetness a little. Thought I would want whipped cream or ice cream with it, but doesn't really need it."