Warm Chicken Spinach Salad
"Since my husband, Bob, and I are empty nesters, I'm always looking for quick, healthy and eye-appealing dishes for the two of us," writes field editor Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. "This pretty main-dish salad has a hint of ginger and a nice crunch from the walnuts."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 thin slices red onion, halved
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- On two salad plates, arrange spinach, oranges, mushrooms and onion;
- set aside. In a skillet, saute chicken and walnuts in oil until
- chicken is no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, ginger, orange juice and
- vinegar until smooth; stir into the chicken mixture. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour over salads and serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 484 calories, 25 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.