Warm Cabbage Slaw
For a deliciously different dish to pass, try this cabbage. It cooks up tender yet still refreshingly crisp, and the almonds add flavor and crunch. This is a fun and tasty winter side dish that brings people back for seconds.
-Mary Crigler, Fayette, Missouri
12-16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 16 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine cabbage, garlic and oil; cook over low
- heat for 3-4 minutes, tossing lightly. Cover and cook for 4-5
- minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Add onions. Combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce and salt. Pour over
- cabbage; toss lightly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until
- mixture thickens. Place in a serving bowl; top with almonds. Serve
- warm. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 63 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.