Warm Beef Salad in Potato Baskets Recipe
The succulent salad shared by Marian Platt of Sequim, Washington was so striking in taste and appearance that our home economists couldn't help but find a fun way to display it—by fashioning edible baskets made from potatoes! (Keep in mind that the baskets can be used for other salads—like chicken or tuna—too.)
- POTATO BASKETS:
- 6 egg whites
- 8 cups shoestring potato sticks
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced cooked roast beef, cut into strips
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold in potato sticks. Grease eight 10-oz. custard cups. Using the back of a spoon, press potato mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of each cup. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, celery and green pepper; set aside. In a skillet, saute onion in vinegar and oil until tender; add onion to vegetable mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce, herbs, salt and pepper to skillet; mix well. Add beef and beans; heat through. Add to vegetable mixture and toss.
- Remove baskets from cups with a sharp knife; fill with salad. Top with blue cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Warm Beef Salad in Potato Baskets in Country Woman March/April 1997, p9
This recipe pairs well with a light white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters White Blend CA, a crisp flavorful wine with hints of citrus. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $69.99. Order Now
Reviews for Warm Beef Salad in Potato Baskets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review