Warm Bean and Chard Salad Recipe
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 12 to 13 cups loosely packed julienned chard or spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add tomato paste and honey; cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and water; bring to a boil.
- 2. Add chard, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 117 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Warm Bean and Chard Salad
"My husband and I really liked this recipe. That's notable, since we are growing a lot of chard in our garden this year, and this is the first recipe we've really liked! It would also be good with other types of beans, and even adding meat would be interesting."
"Really good. I made this several times when the chard was coming in from the garden. I love my vegies!!!"
"This was really good! My kids ate it without a fuss. Cut it in half but made it just like recipe."
"Quick and easy to prepare, I halved the recipe and it was great."
"I made this with red chard. This was good, coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of chard. The only reason I made this was because I didn't know what else to make with the chard. This recipe was simple and fast."