Warm Bacon Endive Dressing Recipe
My husband loves his mom's endive dressing, so I asked her to share the recipe with me. When I make this salad, I usually serve it with boiled potatoes and sliced smoked ham.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 bunches curly endive, torn (about 12 cups)
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute the onion in the drippings until tender. Add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and vinegar; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan; stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the endive, hard-cooked eggs and reserved bacon. Add desired amount of warm dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate leftover dressing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 177 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC