Warm 'n' Fruity Breakfast Cereal
We love the heartiness of this nutritious cooked cereal, seasoned with cinnamon and loaded with chopped fruit and nuts. We like it served with plain yogurt and sliced bananas or blueberries. It will start your day right!
John Vale, Hardin, Montana
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 cups seven-grain cereal
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook,
- covered, on low 6-7 hours or until cereal and fruit are tender. If
- desired, top with walnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Bob’s Red Mill 7-Grain Hot Cereal.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without walnuts) equals 185 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,