"My husband and I like this wholesome, nutty bread warm from the oven," says Rosadene Herold of Lakeville, Indiana.
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, butter, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°; stir into flour mixture. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place the ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Walnut Wheat Bread in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p16
Reviews for Walnut Wheat Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review