Here's a rich yeasty loaf, swirled with walnuts, that's a treat any time of year. Drizzled with a light lemony glaze, it also makes a lip-smacking yuletide gift.
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, oil, salt, lemon peel, eggs and 2 cups flour, beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in thirds. Roll each portion into a 13-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Combine condensed milk and lemon juice until blended; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; brush with butter. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; stir in lemon juice. Drizzle over bread. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Walnut-Swirl Lemon Loaves in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p19
Reviews for Walnut-Swirl Lemon Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review