Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
I love this cake from my Aunt Suzie—especially the nice moist texture and sweet surprise of the brown sugar-nut mixture inside. It's decadent with a cup of joe.—Michelle Eder, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- 2. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg yolks. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 5. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with walnut mixture. Pour in remaining batter. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 540 calories, 29 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC