- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg yolks. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with walnut mixture. Pour in remaining batter. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake
"awesome coffee cake. was a little more work than some recipes but well worth the effort."
"I was really disappointed in this cake. In the picture it looks so good and the ingredients were so what easy to put together. But the cake was dry. Maybe somewhere along the way I missed something..over mixed or let it cook to long. I will be trying it again!!!"
"There were many steps in this recipe and you dirtied several bowl. The cake was moist but the taste was average. It looked great but I probably will not make it again. There are better coffee cakes ."
"My mom made the same exact coffee cake when I was growing up. I loved this too !!!"
"This is a very moist and delicious coffee cake. I did not have walnuts, used chopped pecans instead. My husband and I do not eat cake very often, he loved this and had it every day until gone. Great recipe."