Walnut Spice Fruitcake Recipe
I'm really glad I tried this recipe, and you will be, too! I think it tastes like a cross between classic Christmas fruitcake and homemade spice cake.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 24 red and/or green candied cherries
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- In a large bowl, combine the raisins, walnuts and cherries; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternatively with applesauce. Mix well. Stir in the raisin mixture. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan; top with whole cherries and walnut halves.
- Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool dry place. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Spice Fruitcake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p54
Reviews for Walnut Spice Fruitcake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review