- Add egg yolk; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa,
- salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine milk
- and vinegar. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately
- with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Transfer to two
- 6-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray and dusted with flour.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until
- smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until
- thickened. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and shortening. Gradually beat in
- sugar. Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat for 4 minutes or
- until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt; beat well. Spread
- between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 469 calories, 29 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.