Walnut Spice Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine milk and vinegar. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Transfer to two 6-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray and dusted with flour. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a small bowl, cream butter and shortening. Gradually beat in sugar. Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt; beat well. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 469 calories, 29 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Spice Cake
"I would like the orginal recipe"
"I would like the original recipe also. Please email to email@example.com. I would love to make the original to have for a pot luck at work."
"I woul like a copy of the original recipeso that I can have more for guests.send to firstname.lastname@example.org"
"I also would like a copy of the original recipe. Send to email@example.comThanksCarolyn"
"I would really like to see the original recipe when you cut these down. Would you please either print it or send it to me?"