These cookies are really easy to prepare. I've made this recipe many times over the years, and the cookies are always a hit.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Roll into 1-in. balls.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of a glass with cooking spray, then dip in sugar. Flatten cookies with prepared glass, redipping in sugar as needed.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and orange peel; beat until smooth. Spread over the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Walnut Sandwich Cookies in Country Extra March 2002, p51
Reviews for Walnut Sandwich Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review