Walnut-Rippled Coffee Cake
An ideal treat any time of the day, this moist yellow cake offers a delightful surprise of cinnamon, nuts and brown sugar in every slice. Nanetta Larson relies on a boxed mix to help her bake it in her Canton, South Dakota kitchen.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Set aside 2 tablespoons cake mix. In a large bowl, combine the sour
- cream, eggs, oil, water, sugar and remaining cake mix; beat on low
- speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour half into a greased and floured fluted 10-in. tube pan. Combine
- the walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved cake mix; sprinkle
- over batter. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 325 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.