- baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk,
- beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts and coconut.
- Add cream of tarter to egg whites; beat with clean beaters until
- stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then
- fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 24-28 minutes or top springs back lightly when touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- Spread raspberry preserves over the top of two cake layers.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the
- cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in
- Place one raspberry topped cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with
- some of the frosting. Repeat with second raspberry topped cake
- layer. Top with plain cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over the
- top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 759 calories, 37 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 103 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.