This lovely three-layered cake is moist, tender and light. It rivals any cake from the finest bakery. I use black walnuts to add a more distinctive flavor.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup raspberry preserves, warmed
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts and coconut.
- Add cream of tarter to egg whites; beat with clean beaters until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or top springs back lightly when touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread raspberry preserves over the top of two cake layers. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Place one raspberry topped cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with some of the frosting. Repeat with second raspberry topped cake layer. Top with plain cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Sponge Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p77
Reviews for Walnut Raspberry Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2008
"While this is not a quick and easy cake to make, it is well worth the time. It is delicious!"