Walnut Pear Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Place flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup of nut mixture; set aside for topping. Set aside remaining nut mixture for filling.
- 2. In a small bowl, toss pears with lemon juice; set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Top with the reserved nut mixture, pears and remaining batter. Sprinkle with walnuts and reserved topping mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool for 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 430 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Pear Coffee Cake
"This was so good! The layers are so pretty and it was nice and moist. I took this to my sisters and the 4 of us gobbled it up! A special cake i'd definitely make again for company."
"Very moist and flavorful. The pears should be firm and not overly ripe. I shared slices of the cake with friends and got rave reviews. They think I am a great cook!"
"We make this every Christmas for brunch. LOVE it!"
"The first time I made this cake I thought it was the best ever and now after many more times making it, I still think the very ame thing. Excellent!!!!"
"This recipe won first prize at my office baking contest."
"The ingredients for this recipe look great, but the recipe makes me nervous, separating the ingredients and putting the wet ingredients under the heading of filling ingredients. Also, the directions state that 2/3 of the batter should be spread in a pan, and it never says what to do with the rest of the batter. I would assume I need to make layers, but when a recipe is missing something like this I have to wonder if it is also missing a key ingredient and I pass it up!"
"Awesome. There wasn't a crumb left after Christmas brunch."