Walnut Pastry Rolls Recipe
These are really tasty served warm with a little bit of butter spread on top, and they reheat well. The rolls are great plain or frosted for some extra sweetness. —Diane Turner, Brunswick, Ohio
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 6 cups ground walnuts (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, cook and stir 1-1/2 cups sugar and 1 cup evaporated milk until mixture comes to a boil. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in walnuts and honey. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into walnut mixture. Cover and refrigerate filling at least 2 hours.
- 2. For dough, in a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, egg yolks and remaining evaporated milk; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Turn onto a floured surface. Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 15x11-in. rectangle. Spread walnut filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush 2 tablespoons milk over tops and sides of rolls. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 6. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough remaining milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 4 rolls (15 slices each).
1 slice equals 162 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC