Walnut Oat Brownies Recipe
Oatmeal and wheat germ add a nutritious touch to these fudgy brownies sent in by Marilyn Yates of Roanoke, Virginia. "This recipe seems too good to be true, but these brownies really taste great," she assures. TIP: Use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips if you don't have six semisweet chocolate squares.
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat egg substitute and sugars. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Walnut Oat Brownies in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p47
Reviews for Walnut Oat Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review