I always make a double batch of this stuffing because it seems to disappear faster than the turkey. The recipe has been in my husband's family for more than 40 years.
Recommended: 24 Low-Carb Christmas Recipes
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 to 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups cubed day-old bread
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the sage, salt, thyme if desired, marjoram and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, walnuts and enough broth to reach desired moistness; toss to coat.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. If stuffed into poultry, bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for stuffing. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Walnut Mushroom Stuffing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p126
Reviews for Walnut Mushroom Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review