Walnut-Maple Chiffon Cake Recipe
The men in the family often request this chiffon cake for their birthdays. The glaze is irresistible.
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- BROWNED BUTTER GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and maple flavoring; add to dry ingredients and beat until well blended. In a small bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar on medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- 4. Immediately invert the pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Carefully run a knife around edges of pan and center tube to loosen; remove cake.
- 5. For glaze, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 338 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Walnut-Maple Chiffon Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC