Walnut Horn Cookies Recipe
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 egg yolks
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups ground walnuts (about 1 pound)
- 5-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, egg yolks and flour; beat until smooth. Shape into 1-in. balls; place in a container with waxed paper separating each layer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, combine walnuts and 3-3/4 cups sugar (the mixture will be dry). In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into nut mixture. Add extracts and a few drops of water if necessary until filling reaches a spreading consistency.
- Place remaining sugar in a bowl; roll cream cheese balls in sugar until completely covered. Place a few balls at a time between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Roll balls into 2-1/2-in. circles. Gently spread about 2 teaspoons of filling over each. Roll up; place seam side down on ungreased baking sheets. Curve the ends slightly. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews for Walnut Horn Cookies(5)
Sort By :
Great tasting, but so time consuming. Does anyone else have issues with the filling coming out the ends and burning to the pan? Should I be pinching the ends closed? Can I make these in a tassie pan instead?
Don't try this unless you are cooking for an army with patience to match. Lots of time and money for a poor result.
Very good! I have been making this since I first got the recipe from TOH years ago. I make it every Christmas. I tend to use less filling and thus I cut the recipe for that in half. One of our favorites.
This recipe is very labor intensive but soooo tasty, especially on the 2nd day. The crust is light & flaky; the filling is sweet & flavorful. Perfect for Christmas!
VERY fattening- but OH SO GOOD! Sweet, delicate with a moist, nutty interior. Slightly crisp on the outside. Made half batch to start with and my husband liked them so much they were gone in 2 days! Will make a full batch for Christmas!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Nut Cookies >
- Nut Recipes >