Walnut Glory Cake Recipe
I've served this sponge cake at church dinners, reunions and other occasions for 40 years. It's always on the table when any of our four children, three granddaughters and great-granddaughter visit our log home in the Georgia mountains.
- 9 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to batter and beat until smooth.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Fold in walnuts.
- 3. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan (pan will be full). Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 4. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around side of cake and remove from pan. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 389 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Walnut Glory Cake
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2014
"We loved this cake"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC