Walnut-Date Quick Bread
I can remember my Aunt Emma making this bread, and I loved it. This recipe must be 60 or more years old.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the dates and water; let stand for 15
- minutes (do not drain). In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar; add
- egg and mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the
- creamed mixture alternately with dates and liquid. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.