Walnut-Date Pumpkin Pie Recipe
I'm forever looking for a little something extra to add to a favorite recipe. In this case, crunchy walnuts and chewy dates take traditional pumpkin pie to a new level. —Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Cover and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, cinnamon, cloves and remaining brown sugar. Beat in the pumpkin and milk. Stir in the dates and walnuts. Pour into the crust. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours on a wire rack. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 389 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC