Walnut Date Loaf
"I discovered this nutty bread when my aunt gave our family a bunch of dates and we didn't know what to do with them," recalls Karen-Jean Coxe of Ione, California. "I simply love it!"
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the dates, water and oil; let stand for 10 minutes
- (do not drain). Add the brown sugar, egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into date mixture just
- until combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 60-65 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield:
- 1 loaf, 16 servings, 1 slice per serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 199 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.