Walnut Date Loaf Recipe
"I discovered this nutty bread when my aunt gave our family a bunch of dates and we didn't know what to do with them," recalls Karen-Jean Coxe of Ione, California. "I simply love it!"
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the dates, water and oil; let stand for 10 minutes (do not drain). Add the brown sugar, egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into date mixture just until combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf, 16 servings, 1 slice per serving.
Originally published as Walnut Date Loaf in Quick Cooking March/April 2003, p17
Reviews for Walnut Date Loaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review