Walnut Date Bread
Many years ago when I was sick, a dear friend stopped with a pot of soup and this beautiful bread. Every cook should have a copy of this traditional quick bread recipe in his or her files.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5
- minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking
- soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and date
- mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for
- 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely
- with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before
- removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 120 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 181 mg sodium,