Walnut Date Bread Recipe
Many years ago when I was sick, a dear friend stopped with a pot of soup and this beautiful bread. Every cook should have a copy of this traditional quick bread recipe in his or her files.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and date mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 120 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 181 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Date Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC