Walnut-Crusted Wheat Loaves Recipe
This moist flavorful round bread from our Test kitchen has a wonderful balance of both white and wheat flours. Pass a basket of wedges with creamy butter.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, honey and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in walnuts and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 4. For glaze, in a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Brush over top of loaves. With a sharp knife, make several shallow slashes across the top of loaves. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 216 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Walnut-Crusted Wheat Loaves
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC