Walnut Cranberry Applesauce Recipe
I made this homemade applesauce the first time I made Thanksgiving dinner for my family. Everyone loved the addition of cranberries and walnuts.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon brandy, optional
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cranberries and brandy if desired; set aside. Place the apples in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 2-3 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- 2. Place the apples in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add reserved cooking liquid until applesauce reaches desired consistency. Return all to the saucepan.
- 3. Add brown sugar and cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in butter until melted. Serve warm or refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, stir in the walnuts. Yield: 4 cups.
2/3 cup: 259 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Cranberry Applesauce
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC