Walnut Cranberry Applesauce
I made this homemade applesauce the first time I made Thanksgiving dinner for my family. Everyone loved the addition of cranberries and walnuts.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon brandy, optional
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries and brandy if desired; set
- aside. Place the apples in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or
- until tender. Drain, reserving 2-3 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- Place the apples in a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Gradually add reserved cooking liquid until applesauce reaches
- desired consistency. Return all to the saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and cranberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir
- in butter until melted. Serve warm or refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, stir in the walnuts. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 259 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.