Walnut Coffee Cake Recipe
This has been in the family some time. I am now a great-grandmother myself (I have one little great-granddaughter; in addition, I have three grandchildren and a son), and it's one of the recipes that my mother used to make long ago. I've lived on the farm where I was brought up all my life. I am a jack-of-all-trades in the kitchen, and my husband and I both enjoy hunting. -Beatrice Richard, Posen, Michigan
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. For the topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over coffee cake.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 383 calories, 22 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC