In Livingston, Texas, Doris Jones bakes this moist morning treat for her friends and family. "My grocer likes me to bring him this coffee cake when I stop by," she relates. "He says it's the best."
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the egg mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir just until moistened. Stir in coconut and walnuts just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Walnut-Coconut Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p49
Reviews for Walnut-Coconut Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2015
"Fantastic recipe .. The cake turned out very moist and rich .. The blend of cinnamon, vanilla walnut and coconut was very pleasant. My family and friends loved the cake!Sure to repeat the recipe many many many more times"