Walnut Chocolate Hearts Recipe
I've been making these cute cookies with mom since I was a little girl. They're certainly one of my favorites and very fast to make. —Maria Hull, Bartlett, Illinois
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in egg.
- 2. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; add to butter mixture. Fold in walnuts. Cover and chill 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 5. For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each heart into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Dip edges of dipped side into ground walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 233 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 133 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Chocolate Hearts
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC