Walnut Cherry Cake Recipe
—Carol Wessels, Harbor Beach, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling YIELD:12-15 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until crumbly; stir in the eggs and salt. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into sugar mixture until combined. Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set juice aside. Gently stir cherries and walnuts into sugar mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over cake; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved cherry juice until smooth. Stir in food coloring if desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Just before serving, drizzle over whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 403 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC