Walnut Carrot Cake Recipe
"I hope you enjoy this quicker version of carrot cake," comments Ardyce Piehl from her home in Poynette, Wisconsin. To streamline it further, buy shredded carrots from the produce section and use prepared cream cheese frosting instead of homemade.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12-15 servings
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange gel food coloring and fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients until well blended. Stir in carrots and nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- 4. Tint a small amount of frosting orange for the carrot if desired. Frost cake with plain frosting. Cut into squares. Pipe an orange carrot onto each square; add a parsley sprig for the carrot top if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 543 calories, 31 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC