"I hope you enjoy this quicker version of carrot cake," comments Ardyce Piehl from her home in Poynette, Wisconsin. To streamline it further, buy shredded carrots from the produce section and use prepared cream cheese frosting instead of homemade.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange gel food coloring and fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients until well blended. Stir in carrots and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Tint a small amount of frosting orange for the carrot if desired. Frost cake with plain frosting. Cut into squares. Pipe an orange carrot onto each square; add a parsley sprig for the carrot top if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Carrot Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p34
Reviews for Walnut Carrot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2008
"Impressive dessert for little effort. The cake turned out moist and delicious. I added about a tbsp of vanilla and used fat free mayo.Excellent keeper recipe!"