My grandmother was the queen of care packages. The Christmas season didn't start until the mail carrier arrived with her anticipated box of goodies. These caramels are my father’s favorite. —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grove, Utah
Recommended: Caramel Apple-Inspired Recipes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil; grease foil with 2 teaspoons butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine cubed butter, sugar, 1 cup cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Stir in remaining cream very slowly so that mixture does not stop boiling.
- Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook and stir until thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in walnuts and vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: 3-3/4 pounds (117 pieces).
Originally published as Walnut Caramels in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p83
Reviews for Walnut Caramels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review